Advanced NDT Certification Services Directory:
Advanced NDT services are strategic to the portfolio of SWISS APPROVAL International.
We aim to acting as a trustworthy and valuable partner, in the Evaluation and Appraisal of the Integrity and overall condition of complex structural systems and components. Our services are addressed but not limited to the following sectors
- Oil & Gas industry, including refineries, transport oil and gas pipelLines, rotating and reciprocating machinery, etc.
- Power Generation industry, including coolant systems, steam turbines, gas turbines, etc.
- Marine Constructions and Offshore Facilities, including Port facilities, Platforms, Shipyards, maritime vessels, etc.
- Civil engineering structures, including buildings, Touristic infrastructure, cranes, etc.
- Renewable energy industry, including wind turbines, hydroelectric generators, photovoltaic panels, concentrated solar receivers, etc.
- Transport, including rail infrastructure, rolling stock, aircraft, trucks, etc.
The Advanced NDT service portfolio offered by SWISS APPROVAL include:
- A/B/C/S Scans with Phased Arrays for a variety of structural components including pipes, castings, rails, crossings, wind turbine towers, pressure vessels, storage tanks, etc. The latest technology is to carry out phased array measurements, even at temperatures over 200°C, without compromising the quality of the inspection. This method was successfully implemented in the UK last year by top oil companies. Using Vertical and Corner Probes, for the detection of Corrosion, Cracks, Impact damage and HIC
- Pulsed Eddy Current [PEC]. With this method, we can measure rapidly and reliably components for structural degradation, including creep and microstructural changes at temperatures up 600°C. The method can be implemented above the insulation / coating thanks to the use of pulses.
- MFL Scanning. The method is mainly used, normally together with phased arrays, for the assessment of the floor of ferrous storage Tanks and Pipelines. However, this particular inspection technique can be easily employed for the inspection of maritime structures including vessels and platforms.
- Wire Rope Magnetic Inductive Inspection, according to European and International Standards For diameters ranging up to 80mm. Larger diameters may also be inspectable.
- IRIS, RFET, ECA, Mag-biased, for the control of Heat Exchangers furrow/groove, during shut-down of the unit.
- RVI, Remote Visual Inspection, with the use of drones with built-in cameras, and infrared cameras to detect leakage, etc.
- Vibrating pipeline and other equipment monitoring, using accelerometers, in order to avoid fatigue-induced failure, by calculating the maximum bending arrow and the natural frequency value, the very high frequency of the structure and for determination of the positions of the dampers and zero points.
- Acoustic emission monitoring for structural health monitoring of complex structures during normal operation or during hydrostatic testing.
- Thermographic techniques for rapid inspection of composite or thin metallic components.
- Destructive Testing and in-situ field Metallography, with the use of Replicas for safely assessing the condition of materials in the field.
- In-depth root cause failure analysis by experts, ensuring that failures that have happened are fully understood and that will not repeat themselves in the future, giving the asset owner "peace of mind" for future extended operation.
- UT, MT, PT, VT, ET, implemented by certified technicians (traditional methods)
SWISS APPROVAL Specific Application fields of Advanced NDT services
Heat Exchanger tube inspection of both Ferrous and Non-ferrous tubes using state-of-the-art electromagnetic & UT applications to apply EC, ECA, Mag-biased & IRIS
Rope Access NDT in all methods performed by experienced certified personnel using ropes in order to access areas quickly and easily that otherwise require expensive and time consuming scaffolding erection.
Long-Range Ultrasonic Testing (LRUT) is an advanced Non-Destructive Testing. It is one of the fast inspection tools for carrying out pipeline survey for corrosion and other degradation using ultrasonic guided waves. It is a pulse-echo system, aimed at testing large volumes of material from a single test point.
Ultrasonic Leak Inspection Detects leaks that cost you money from Steam Traps, steam-pipe seals, valves, seal integrity or fittings and condenser drains, search for faults in electrical insulation, detection of early wear in bearings with rotating parts.
Optical Gas Imaging including a range of thermal imaging services to aid in gas leak detection using thermal cameras . Gas thermal imaging offers a number of benefits compared to traditional “sniffers” because they rapidly scan broad area that are difficult to reach with contact measurement tools. Reliably detects gas & chemical compound leaks that are not visible to the naked eye. Contacts also SF6 Surveying for detection of Sulphur Hexafluoride’ Hand held, RV or UAV mountable.
Metallurgy. Engineers provided with significant expertise in field metallography and laboratory-based metallographic testing. HTHA detection also (High Temperature Hydrogen Attack). Internationally accepted ASTM Standard Practice for Production and Evaluation of Field Metallographic Replicas. Portable digital and analogue optical microscopes which can be used for the evaluation of key industrial components in-situ. Report correlating directly life expectation with process characteristics.
Monitoring of vibrating pipelines. This is a major issue for many industries since high frequency vibration of piping could accelerate fatigue failure of critical pipelines. Using vibration monitoring areas of maximum deflection are found and locations where absorbers should be installed or fixed points introduced are identified in order to reduce consequences from fatigue.
Corrosion Under insulation (CUI). CUI a phenomenon that has troubled the Oil & Gas industry for years… Addressed in the API Codes 510 & 570, this costs the Industry millions due to unplanned shutdowns and damages reputation. Early detection doesn’t cost – It pays! For this problem Swiss Approval utilizes a combination of LRUT and PEC techniques customized per each independent case.